Get your squash and onions for this tasty recipe at the Winter Market this week!
2 1/2 cups butternut squash, cooked or roasted
1 can (15 ounces) black beans (drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup onions, diced (1/2 medium onion)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or 3 tablespoons dried cilantro
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 cup shredded cheese (like cheddar or Mexican blend), divided
8 tortillas (6 inch)
1 cup salsa or 1 can (10 ounces) red or green enchilada sauce
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix the squash, beans, onion, cilantro, garlic powder, and cumin in a bowl.
3. Mix 3/4 cup of the cheese into the squash mixture.
4. Put a 1/2 cup strip of filling on each tortilla. Roll the tortilla around the filling. Put the tortilla into a greased 9 x13 baking dish with the seam down.
5. Cover the tortillas with the salsa or enchilada sauce. Put the rest of the cheese (1/4 cup) on the salsa or sauce.
6. Bake for 25 minutes.
7. Serve each enchilada with 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt or sour cream.
– Watch How to Prepare Winter Squash
– Use a medium butternut squash (2 to 3 pounds) to make about 2 cups of diced squash.
– Put 2 to 3 tortillas at a time in the microwave. Heat for 10 seconds so they do not tear.
Source: Iowa State Extension