2 cups dry elbow macaroni (8 ounces)
1 purchased roasted chicken
1 tablespoon butter
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
2 1/2 cups half-and-half, light cream or whipping cream
6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
4 ounces American cheese slices, torn
4 ounces fontina or havarti cheese, shredded (1 cup)
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
1. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven or large pan, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, remove the meat from the chicken; discard skin and bones. Coarsely shred the chicken; set aside.
3. For topping: In a medium skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add panko. Cook and stir until panko is lightly toasted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Add half-and-half to the same Dutch oven used to cook the macaroni. Bring just to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gradually add cheddar, American and fontina cheeses, stirring constantly. Stir in black pepper. Continue to cook and stir until cheese is completely melted and smooth.
5. Add drained macaroni to the cheese sauce. Stir until well combined. Stir in chicken and tomatoes. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in spinach and oregano. Serve immediately, topped with toasted panko mixture.
Source: Midwest Living